Telefilm Canada is pleased to announce that a total of44 Canadian short films have been selected for the 3rd annual edition of its Not Short On Talent market screenings at the upcoming Cannes Film Festival (May 15 to 26, 2013). Not Short On Talent is a collection of five 90-minute programs destined to screen at the Cannes Market and at the Festival’s Short Film Corner venue. Our initiative is designed to increase the international exploitation of new short films and to promote short film talent to international buyers and festival programmers.
Telefilm’s call for submissions triggered an exceptionally good response this year: we received 175 entries! Danny Lennon, an internationally renowned short film programmer (Prends ça court!) for the last 12 years, screened and selected the films.
- Floodplain, by B.C. native and Cannes veteran Jeremy Lutter, is produced through an interesting mix of public, private and crowd-sourcing financing sources such as the 2012 National Screen Institute (NSI) Drama Prize, bravoFACT and Indiegogo.
- Fou, Rien pis Personne is the first short from Quebec’s Elise De Blois, Genie Award winner for Best Art Direction/Production Design for Canadian box office hit Barney’s Version.
- Gloria Victoria is a 3D animation film by Theodore Ushev (Quebec) produced by the National Film Board of Canada and in competition at Annecy 2013.
- Out ouest by New Brunswick’s emerging talent Jean-Michel Vienneau is an improvisational short produced over five days during the Festival international du cinéma francophone en Acadie.
- Pilgrims by Marie Clements (British Columbia), an established and critically acclaimed Métis playwright.
- The Post and S is for Bird are by filmmakers Kyle Thomas (Alberta) and Matt Sadowski (Ontario). Both are finalists in our new Micro-Budget Production Program geared to emerging feature film talent leveraging digital technologies.
- Quelqu’un d’extraordinaire is a first short film by Monia Chokri (Quebec), who starred in Xavier Dolan’s Laurence Anyways and Heartbeats.
- The Spirit Game by Ontarian Craig Goodwill stars Katie Isabelle, the Juno-winning Chantal Kreviazuk and Liberty Ross.
- Subconscious Password is by Oscar-winner (Ryan, Best Animated Short Film, 2004) Chris Landreth (Quebec) and in competition at Annecy 2013.
- Yellow Fish by Andrew Cividino (British Columbia) features rising star Sarah Gadon (A Dangerous Method).
For the full Not Short on Talent line-up, please visit our Cannes Film Festival microsite (which will go live the week of April 22nd) at http://www2.telefilm.ca/05/516/Cannes/2013/.